Google
 
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
I Gave Birth To A Goat


My Little H will eat anything.

Unless it's supposed to be eaten and is served to him on a plate.

Rocks? Eaten them.

Sand? His digestive tract is well exfoliated.

Grass? Dirt? Small twigs? Money?

Check, check, check, and $0.37.

When my parents were watching the kids he ate the TIVO button off of our remote:

Then, he devoured part of a flashing super ball:


My parents were horrified. See, no one really believes me when I say Holden is a goat until they experience it for themselves.

At our local farmers market, he got a free stress ball shaped like a stalk of broccoli.

Ate it:

See that white part down at the bottom of the stalk? (Click to enlarge.)

As for actual edible things, if it doesn't involve french fries or come from Starbucks, he's not touching it.

Don't judge me too harshly. Please?

So let's summarize: If it's real food, Holden won't eat it. If it's fake food or anything inorganic, he will. Real broccoli? No. Fake broccoli? Yes, please.

Lovely.

Enter Deceptively Delicious. It's a new cook book written by Jessica Seinfeld, wife of Jerry Seinfeld and I had the opportunity to review it for the Parent Bloggers Network. The whole premise is tricking your kids into eating healthy foods. It's based on pureeing vegetables and hiding them in kid friendly foods.

I tried the mini pizzas first. They're made on small pita rounds and layered with spinach puree, tomato sauce, and low fat mozzarella. My husband and I loved them. The kids refused to eat them. They wouldn't even try them. Because the pizza didn't look enough like Papa John's.

That's OK, I'll try it again until the little scamps actually put some in their mouths because I know they'll like it.

Next, I tried the lasagna. It involved pureeing cauliflower and hiding it in low fat sour cream to make a ricotta like filling. Both kids loved it. Holden even ate, like, 2 bites. That's a feast for him. Hollis ate his entire serving. I didn't think it was quite as yummy as my regular lasagna recipe, but my lasagna is far more fattening and not nearly as healthy. Plus, I couldn't taste the cauliflower. I loathe cooked cauliflower. I'll eat it raw, but cook that stuff and put it under my nose and I may throw up on you. It's the only vegetable I won't eat. But DD got me (and the boys) to eat cauliflower, so that's saying something.

I tried a few other things: macaroni and cheese laced with cauliflower, grilled cheese mixed with something that escapes me right now) with varying degrees of success.

Next, the desserts.

I tried brownies first. The recipe calls for pureed spinach and pureed carrot. I didn't have any carrots in the house, so I used pureed pumpkin (something used in some of the other recipes.) I'm a diabetic and am consequently a freak about not using much sugar in our food, so I substituted the brown sugar in the recipe for the Splenda brown sugar baking mix, used bittersweet chocolate, which is also low in sugar, and I used whole wheat flour.

The brownies made according to the recipe have 133 calories and 3 grams of fiber per serving. The way I made them, it comes out even lower and I calculated each brownie to be 1.5 Weight Watcher's points. T and I both thought they were pretty good, but they don't really taste like brownies. They were more like chocolaty pumpkin bread (maybe I should have followed the recipe), but the boys ate them. Even my goat eats them. And for the record, I couldn't taste the spinach.

I also made some blueberry cream cheese muffins. The muffins have pureed blueberry and spinach and the cream cheese filling has squash. Again, I used Splenda and low fat everything. They're pretty tasty. Even so, the boys would only eat a few bites. But hey, the goat had 2 bites of muffin. That's monumental seeing as how the muffin didn't come from S-T-A-R-B-U-C-K-S.

The Deceptively Delicious recipes do take a bit more time, but not terribly more. The biggest time investment is making pureed veggies. I cheated. I bought frozen, cooked them in the microwave, and pureed a whole bag at a time. Because the recipes call for purees in 1/2 cup measurements, I froze leftover purees in freezer bags in 1/2 cups. I have lots of pureed squash, spinach, cauliflower, pumpkin, and blueberry waiting for nights when we're in a rush.

I don't intend to stop serving my kids vegetables in the usual way. I think that's important to help them develop healthy eating habits. I also doubt that we'll be cooking out of the book every night. But I've liked the healthy versions of enough of the DD kid friendly recipes that I'll definitely be incorporating a few into our usual meals. And maybe I'll feel slightly less guilty about Holden eating only a brownie in 24 hours if that brownie contains two servings of vegetables.

Would I recommend it? Hell, yes! Anything that gets Holden to eat something that's healthy (and actually edible) is worth it.

My little goat.

Labels: , ,

add to sk*rt


16 Comments:

Blogger S said...

Did eating part of that that stress thing in the shape of broccoli cause him to get sick?

What about the bouncy ball?

Blogger flutter said...

Well look at you, little gourmet! I am glad you calculated the WW points, since you know, I am all freaky for that kind of thing these days.

The fake broccoli picture almost made me pee my pants.

Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

SM - He didn't actually swallow any of the broccoli, just chewed it off. As for the bouncy ball, nope. We're pretty sure he digested some of it because the chewing was what alerted my parents to the eating. It might have been better if he *had* gotten sick. Maybe he'd stop doing it!

Flutter - Of course, I did the points! (-:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I was wondering just how great the recipes really were b/c I wanted to buy the book BUT didn't really want to waste my money if it was all just ('scuse my language) crappy foods. Now that I know a lot of things are pretty good I think I will buy it. My son eats veggies but hey at 9 months he eats anything I give him b/c..well what else is he going to do. Not like he can make his own meals:) I initially want to get the book so the hubby and I can eat a bit better but also so later on my son will get his servings. I too will want to feed him veggies w/o hiding them though so, like you said, he can develop healthy habits. I love good cookbooks and good cookbook recipes. Thanks for the review:)!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least he doesn't shove things in his ears or up his nose.

One of my sisters once wanted to see how many beads she could fit up her nose. Recently she said she still remembered me explaing that beads aren't to be played with in nostrils, and how it then seemed so logical to her. Glad I was able to contribute in some way to her young adulthood of bead-free nares.

Veggie-wise, you're probably familiar with this blog:
http://www.greatbigvegchallenge.blogspot.com/

Am still trying to figure out whether your kid's biting into fake broccoli could be construed as some kind of political statement, and if so, how it could be interpreted.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Molly wrote reminds me of what my little sister has done. She put a bean up her nose. And yes it did expand in her nose which resulted in a trip to the emergency room for her:) She also put a rock in her nose I believe that also resulted in another trip to the ER:)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great to hear! I've only heard good reviews of the book and now, seeing the recipes you made, I may just have to run out and get it. Pumpkinhead actually likes veggies (carrots, green beans, corn, tomatoes), but this would certainly help me get even more in.

Blogger Christine said...

i've been hearing alot about that book! we are sneaky and have been pureeing food for a while--beet muffins, zucchini brownies, squash quesadillas (these didn't go over so well.

and i'm on weight watchers and would LOVE that pumkin/brownie recipe if you get a minute.

Blogger Sarcasta-Mom said...

Your photos are always TOO priceless. I laughed like mad at the photo of the stress broccoli.

I may have to try this book. My son is a veggie-phobic. Thanks for the great review.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like this story is going to end up as an episode of Grey's Anatomy or something. Hilarious and a little scary!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laughing. so. hard.

Glad it was a success!

Blogger Jen said...

Girl - this is the best DD review yet! LOVE the picture of him with the gnawed "broccoli." Snort!

And seriously, $0.37??? Love it.

Blogger ExPatSW said...

Ahhh, the H-male gene is alive and well. R and MS were the culprits in our generation! For the first half of my sixth grade year R & MS's teachers were constantly calling me out of class to tell me what they had eaten (mostly paper with the occasional play-doh or marble chasers). Grams had to go to school and make them stop calling me out of class.

She got a call one day from R's teacher that he had eaten his lunch money. After determining that he wasn't turning blue (therefore it wasn't restricting his airway) she told them that it would pass...probably sooner rather than later because of all the paper he had eaten.

Just be sure that his teachers know of his eating habits once he starts school or you'll be dragged out of court by frantic calls from distressed educators!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good book with some great ideas! I don't have much of a problem with my daughter just yet, she still eats what we put in front of her. It is getting harder and harder though, the more she starts realizing the junk food that exists in the world. So, this might be a good book for me to have on hand when things go all wrong.

I can't believe your little goat!

Blogger MARY G said...

Thanks for the pointer. The daughters and granddaughter are not a problem, but the husband deserves hidden squash.

The broccoli pic is fabulous.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What gets me about those books is the recipes require the child to eat sauce of some sort. I have plenty of recipes for hiding veggies in baked goods, but I need recipes for main courses that have no sauce of any kind. Lasagne, pizza, mac and cheese -- they all have sauce. Sauce is messy. We don't like messy.

Welcome to my own private h*ll.

(TO be honest, the younger one kvells every time he sees a green vegetable, so maybe I should just count my blessings.)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer